Natanya Full, Mirus Australia Manager on Customer Relationship Management (CRM) to ultimately improve the customer experience and sales process.
“This is a frequently asked question by our clients when evaluating whether to invest the time, resources and budget on building a customer relationship management (CRM) platform or finding a solution that meets most of their requirements and then start the ‘tweaking’ process.
I am currently in the process of building a house! While I am very fortunate and excited to be part of the planning, designing and watching the building phases, it has required (already) a significant financial and emotional investment. I have estimated that the return on investment will be somewhere between my kid’s getting married and me becoming a grandparent. (They are currently 8 and 10 years old).
I also understand our family will require substantial patience with a 12- 18 month build time before we can be ready to move in. I already feel we have chosen a great architect, who happens to get on really well with the builder and so it all seems to be going smoothly.
However, I appreciate this is not the story of so many home builders.
In my experience, building your own CRM tool is similar to building a house. You can’t just buy the land and bricks or the platform off the shelf.
You also need:
- A designer (The Architect)
- A developer (The Builder)
- The technology platform (The land and building materials)
- Project manager, change manager (The Foreman)
- The user interface (The Interior Designer)
- Subject Matter Expert to make improvements and changes as regulations change (The Handyman)
- And documentation, training and education (The Blueprints)
Or you could do your research and find a house that ticks most of your requirements and priorities and move in within 5 weeks of settlement! You would have your walls, rooms, floors and appliances all working and ready to go! Of course, your emotional investment in your home is much greater than your CRM platform but do we have to be so unique in our requirements, every time? Especially when it means a significant impact on our budgets, time and resources. For example, buying a pre-configured solution from a company that will also implement, train your staff and manage feature enhancements over time could mean you only need your project manager.
Please consider the following:
- Are your needs really that different than your competitors?
- Is there an industry-specific CRM that meets data requirements, process flow and reporting needs?
- Can you get most of your wish list without unnecessary costs and heartache?
- Would you and your organisation benefit from being part of a tribe of users?
- Would you like features and functions designed and implemented to improve your experience without you even having to ask?
- Have you really considered the budget of not only implementing but also ongoing support?
- How fast do you want to get up and running and start recognising the benefits straight away?
- The impact on your current resources or will you need new expertise?
- Do you have a list of requirements to meet your needs or a never-ending wish list?
- How does your organisation respond to change?
- Do you need incremental improvement or a complete overhaul?
- Finally, but most importantly, is your team ready?
To discuss this further including how we have worked with our clients to co-design Mirus Admissions Companion so you can be up and running in 5 weeks, and how we are continually innovating with our clients to support the changing environment, please visit us here.